Albia’s Historic Town Square
92 Buildings on the National Register of Historic Places (1869-1910)
Self Guided Tours
- Albia’s Historic Town Square – Town Square Walking Tour. Each building on the square is fitted with a plaque giving specific details for each piece of architecture. The tour can be started with any building and completed by walking around the entire square.
- First Iowa State Bank – restored to its original splendor, lavishly decorated in Victorian antiques. Reservations required 641-932-2144.
- The Pyramids – located just outside Avery, Axel Peterson had small pyramids built where he planned to be buried. Although they are empty, the pyramids still stand tall today.
- Albia Country Club – Tee of on the golf course and enjoy a nice day on Albia’s own 9-hole golf course. A long day ahead of eating, drinking, and relaxing round of golf.
- The Reservoir – Just at the northwest edge of town on Hwy 5, enjoy a great day fishing, hiking, picnicking, and top it off with a night of camping at the popular “Rez.”
- Honey Creek Resort Park – Along with the Rez, a great day can be spent at the Honey Creek Resort. The $58 million resort is located on Lake Rathbun with over 850 acres of land. It is a great 105-room lodge with over 20 cabins, and home of The Preserve on Rathbun Lake, one of the finest 18-hole golf courses in the state of Iowa. With the RV park, boat docks and ramps, fishing house, and multi-use trail, there is much to be enjoyed throughout a visit.
- Robert T. Bates Apartment – Tour the home of Albia’s benefactor who made the restoration of the First Iowa State Bank possible. His turn-of-the-century apartment was left exactly as when Robert Bates lived in it, filled with priceless antiques and collectibles from all over the world. Located on the northwest corner of Court House square.
- Walker House – Walk through one of the finely restored Victorian houses of Albia. Located at 106 2nd Ave West, call Diane Walker for tours, 641-932-3104 or 641-745-0029.
- Kness Mfg. Co., Inc. – Come see where it all began and tour the home of “the world’s finest mousetrap.”
The Albia Restoration Days festival is held the fourth Saturday of each August.
- Monroe County Historical Museum – Visit our wonderful museum filled with artifacts from 19th century homes, farms, and mines. The MCHS Museum includes a coal mining exhibit, replica one-room school house, and train. Open Saturday and Sunday 1-4 p.m. Special arrangements for tour buses and guests — 114 A Avenue East, Albia, Iowa 52531.
- Accent Floral & Gifts –20 Washington Ave E | Albia, IA 52531
- Cindy’s Beauty Hut & Accessories — 10 South Main Street | Albia, IA 52531
- Family Shoe & Sporting Goods — 22 Washington Ave E | Albia, IA 52531
- Fiber Artisans Guild — 5 Benton Ave E | Albia, IA 52531
- Gather Round the Fountain — 2 Washington Ave E | Albia, IA 52531
- Honey Creek Resort — 12633 Resort Drive | Moravia, IA 52571
- HyVee Food Store — 301 Hwy 34 W | Albia, IA 52531
- Illingworth Jewelry — 14 South Main St. | Albia, IA 52531
- O’Hara Hardware — 4 Washington Ave E | Albia, IA 52531
- Pamida — Hwy 34 W | Albia, IA 52531
- Sentimental Journey LLC — 14 Washington Ave E | Albia, IA 52531
- Woodard Jewelry Repair Plus — 16 Washington Ave E | Albia, IA 52531
- Albia Reservoir Lower — Albia Reservoir Upper
- Albia Country Club | Albia Golf Course
- Honey Creek State Park — Honey Creek Resort
- Lake Miami
- Lake Wapello State Park
- The Preserve on Rathbun Lake
- Rathbun Lake — Rathbun Land & Water Alliance
- Rathbun Lake Association — Rathbun Lighthouse Association
- Red Haw State Park